Monday 20 June 2016

Favourite knitted infinity scarf (and it's easy too!)

Hello all,

I may be a little late with my post this week, but I promise my gorgeous new Alpaca & wool infinity scarf is worth the wait.

Isn't she a beauty?









It has been a busy week, firstly I had my fabulous "old man" (well he IS 3 weeks older than me!) home, so I had to pretend that I don't spend my days knitting and surfing the web.... errrrmm....



I also had a fabulous commission for a super special little Bullie for this years winner of the Jan Cheeseman Memorial Championship "Best in Show" - a replica of the fabulous Fabnic Lady Eva Lily.  What a beauty ❤️

Custom bullies available from Etsy


But amongst this, online "research" ðŸ˜‰ and the usual mum stuff, I also wanted to replace one of my favourite items which I sold during the week - this beautifully colourful infinity scarf.



While I love the textures and colours of Bamboozle yarn in this design, (and have sneakily bought some more so I can make a few more of these beauties!) I stumbled across this gorgeous and luxuriously soft Alpaca wool blended yarn and couldn't resist!






THE DETAILS (for the knitters out there!)

The pattern is quite straight forward for most levels of knitters.


For this scarf I used a set of 6mm needles which were bigger than the recommended needle size to give a looser tension.


I cast on 32 st.  Your row should be 50% wider than you'd like the scarf as the rows will be at a 45 degree angle when completed.  My 32 st worked out as 21cm wide, with the finished scarf being just 14cm wide.


I'd recommend a temporary cast on with scrap yarn, but I'm a lazy knitter so I tend to cast on with an unknotted starting loop and unravel the first row when I finish, joining the scarf using this yarn (I have weird ways of doing things I know!).


Then you knit... increase by 1st at the start of every other row - I used the knit back and front of stitch increase; and decrease 1st at the other end of every other row - I used a simple knit 2 together.  Keep going until it's the length you want or you run out of yarn!


The 'pattern' is made by switching from stocking stitch (knit on the right side and purl on wrong side) to reverse stocking stitch (purl on the right side and knit on the wrong side) randomly through the piece.

Because I love number patterns (my slightly duller alter-ego is an accountant ðŸ˜‰), I tend to create mock randomness from a maths sequence!  But seriously any kind of random would look great!


While I tend to favour one side, this also makes for a great reversible scarf.


To join you graft the first and last row together to give a seamless look.

This is the most difficult part! There are tutorials on youtube on how to graft knitting or if you are daunted, just cast off and sew the two ends together!


You can just about see the join on the reverse stitch rows between the turquoise and brown on this image - as it does bulge a tiny bit where the yarn is doubled over.



Maybe I shouldn't be giving away my trade secrets ðŸ˜‰ but it really is that easy.  And even better, it looks great!

If you are happy with it as is, you can leave it, or you can block your scarf [gently hand-wash it and pin it out on a flat surface to dry] to finish it off, which will bring out the definition of the stitches...





And voila... the finished piece. 💗



Anyway peeps - do let me know if you give this scarf a go, I'd love to see how you get on and am always here to help budding beginners out there.  I promise this scarf is very rewarding!

Of course as always the finished piece is in my Etsy store too!  So take a look if you want to buy something cosy or even for an added drop of inspiration!


Have an awesome week.


Lisa @ ElvieWithLove



3 comments:

  1. Would really love to give this ago!! It makes such a beautiful scarf! Now to find the perfect yarn...... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hardest part Erin 😃

      This is such a simple design it really showcases that beautiful or unusual yarn that can sometimes get lost in more complicated designs. King Cole bamboozle worked brilliantly as would any soft self-striping yarn such as the Moda Vera Fayetteville which you can pick up from Spotlight! Lxx

      Delete
    2. That should just say "Fayette"!

      Delete